This page is a stub, and is awaiting more content from a community hero. You could be that hero.
knife is the primary command-line interface tool used to interact with the Chef Server, as well as perform a number of implementation and administrative tasks in a Chef installation. Knife is included in the chef installation package.
Some of the tasks that Knife can be used for include:
- Creating a cookbook from a template (though Chef DK is replacing this functionality)
- Managing chef server authentication tokens (called chef clients)
- Managing the list of machines chef nodes that the chef server is responsible for configuring, including installation of the chef agent (bootstrapping).
- Managing the repository of configuration behaviors (the cookbook store)
- Querying the chef server's search index, to search for nodes by properties
Additionally, knife is extensible via a plugin system; a large number of plugins are available.